Friday, May 28, 2010
Do you like this story?
Fish can live for a longer time compared to other pets, if taken care properly. Beginners can have a lot of queries on how to take care of a fish. In this post are mentioned facts and tips for tasks starting from setting up a tank for your fish to the installation of other accessories in your tank.
- Before buying your fish, research on the type of fish you prefer. Collect all the information you can about the fish you are going to buy.
- Every breed of fish requires a different environment to live in. Buy the tank considering the size of the fish and how big it can get, as well as preplanned your tank for bringing more fishes into the tank.
- When buying the fish, make sure that it is healthy one. They should not display any signs or symptoms of being ill such as cloudy eyes or slim looking bodies.
- Inquire about the water temperature and quality as of the main tank of the pet store. Keep the new freshwater fish in the quarantined water tank for a while. Let them stay there till around two to three weeks before you shift them to a new tank environment.
- Keep the tank away from the windows, doors or any source that heats up. If this is not done, your tank can have drafts and the water temperature might change and affect your fish.
- Check the water quality regularly for the ammonia, nitrite and pH levels. Such imbalances could cause sickness in your fish. You can also add an automatic filter in your tank that would balance and clean the tank every ten days. These freshwater fish care kits can be purchased from the pet store from where you bought your fish.
- Feed your fish with the already prepared fish food available in the market. Store the fish food in a cool and dry place and check for the expiry date on the package.
- With the help of a net, remove the uneaten food everyday. Also clean your net thoroughly before and after you put it into the water to avoid the spread of a possible infection.
- Place a canopy or hood over the tank so that nothing can fall into the water and spoil it. This is done also to avoid the jumping fish falling out of the tank.
- While installing accessories for the freshwater tank, keep in mind that the water conditions should not be made poor by drastic lighting, inside or outside the tank. These lights could lower the resistance of your freshwater fishes to disease.
This post was written by: Franklin Manuel
Franklin Manuel is a professional blogger, web designer and front end web developer. Follow him on Twitter